- a little oil
- a little garlic, minced
- thin soy sauce
- dark soy sauce (I used shoyu)
- 1/2 tsp lemongrass (tender parts minced, tough parts whole)
- 1 tsp minced galangal
- 1 quart of water
- small block of soft tofu (maybe 6oz or so), cubed
- 1 small package of mung bean noodles
- 2-4 Tbsp cilantro (I used long coriander, but regular is fine)
- 2-4 Tbsp fish mint
- 2-4 Tbsp Thai basil
- 5-6 oz bean sprouts (I used soy, but mung would be nice, too)
- red chili paste
- Thai green chilies, sliced finely (opt)
- fried shallots
- kaffir lime leaves (I have some I ground with red chili, salt and tamarind)
Heat the oil and saute the garlic.
Add the soy sauces and lemongrass, and let reduce slightly.
Add the galangal, water, and tofu, and simmer.
Salt to taste. I added a little MSG, too; you can use a veggie bouillon cube, or a light veggie stock instead of water if you prefer.
Simmer till the tofu firms up a bit, reduce the heat, and add the noodles.
Once they are cooked (this will be FAST), remove from heat and add the herbs.
In each bowl, garnish with chili paste, a little green chili, fried shallots, and a sprinkle of ground kaffir lime leaf.